History

(in English: SARDO - search-and-rescue and diving operations)


 

 

           On the basis of Order No 5122-p issued by the Soviet of Ministers on August 23, 1956, the Search-and-Rescue Service of the Navy was reorganized that resulted in formation of the military and the civil services.

 

          Taking such document as a basis, the Minister of the Navy V. Bakaev passed Decree No 394-PR on 23.10.1956 on responsibility of the NM for ship-raising and diving operations for all civil offices.

 

          In January 1957, the Expeditionary Unit for Search-and-Rescue and Diving Operations (EUSRDO), comprising Leningrad, Tallinn, Klaipeda and Kaliningrad groups, was formed under the Marine Department.

 

         During that period, start resources: accessory floating crafts, diving equipment, professionals – ship engineers, hydraulic engineers, seafarers and divers belonging to the Search-and-Rescue Service of the Navy (SRSN) were transferred to the new units.

 

           On the basis of the Order dated 30.05.1959, the MN included search-and-rescue services and responsibility for life-saving into the competence of shipping companies.

 

           So, the Expeditionary Unit for Search-and-Rescue and Diving Operations (EUSRDO) was formed with the Baltic Shipping Company.

 

           According to Regulation No 2397p passed by the Soviet of Ministers of the USSR on 04.11.1971, the All-Union Association (AUA) Sovsudopodjom, functionally controlling all units of SRDO, was created.

 

           On the basis of Order No 62 issued by the NM on 02.04.1976, a special unit for liquidation of oil spill in the sea (LOS) was included in Riga Group of EUSRDO that in 1980 was transferred to the Port of Ventspils.

 

          Riga Group of SRDO had 4 diving boats in Riga and sea diving boat at the Port of Ventspils.

 

          Team of up to 60 divers underwent medical examination and passed qualification tests every year. To raise qualification, divers regularly attended the school of diving.

 

          Riga Group of SRDO performed diving operations not only at the Ports of Riga and Ventspils, but also throughout Latvia and outside its borders (Lithuania, Estonia, Pskov and other areas).

 

          Heads of Riga Group of SRDO were M. Baltachi, I. Burnashev, D. Rozhkin, G. Nickolaev.

 

          Divers of Riga Group of SRDO took part in restoration of the Ports of Riga, Ventspils, Liepaja during the post-war years.

 

         During the last years of its existence, Riga Group of SRDO performed a number of large-scale search-and-rescue operations and considerable volume of technical operations for normal operating activities of organizations and companies and environment protection throughout the territory of Latvia.

 

         Riga Group of SRDO was liquidated on 31.08.1992 and Latvian Maritime Search-And-Rescue Service was formed on its basis.